Folium - Installation -- Jul 30 2009, 9:28 AM
Contents of this document
- 1. Primary: Login to your wp-admin area and go to Appearance -> Themes. Select Install tab and click on Upload link. Select theme .zip and click on Install now button. If you have any errors, use alternate method described below (step 2).
- 2. Upload the whole folder (Folium) to your server Via FTP and place it in the /wp-content/themes/ folder. Do not change the directory name. The template files should thus be here now: /wp-content/themes/Folium/index.php (for example).
- 3. CHMOD directory cache (wp-content/themes/Folium/cache) to 777 permissions.
- 4. Check the CHMOD for other files. It must be 644 for the files and 755 for the folders.
- 5. Log into your WP admin panel and click on the Design tab. Now click on the Folium theme to activate it.
- 6. Note: When first clicking the theme to activate it, the preview panel will show that the theme contains "errors", but this is only because you haven't set up the Theme Options yet.
- 7. Go to Folium Options and setup all required fields. Click "Update Options"
- 8. Check Section 2 and Section 3 - Basic configuration if you have installed the template for the first time and need to make the initial setup and adjustments.
Explaining Theme Options
Folium incorporates a user-friendly theme options page to allow you easily customise / tweak a variety of options for the theme without having to touch the code. The theme options are located under the Folium Options tab in your WordPress admin panel. Here is an explanation of all the options that can be found on this page:
(Note: Options marked with * are required to be completed, otherwise your theme might not function properly.)
- Meta Description - Enter a blurb about your site here, and it will show up on the tag. Useful for SEO.
- Intro title - Homepage intro title on the header.
- Intro Description - Homepage small description. Show up on the header.
Front Page Layout
- Select Blog category - Category for your Blog page.
- Select Projects category - Category for your project page.
- Number of Projects (Homepage) - Number of Projects for homepage scroller
- Intro page - choose the page for the Intro text on the main page of the site.
- Show Fullposts? - Show fullposts instead of post summary?
- Display Sub boxes? (Homepage) - you can enable or disable Small Sub boxes on the bottom of homepage.
- Logo - Choose the logo you would like to use.
- Favorite Icons - Choose the favorite icon you would like to use.
This block enables you to manage the color scheme of your site, i.e. adjust the colour of links, fonts, change the background color.
- Google Analytics ID – Google Analytics ID. Start with UA
- Feedburner URL - Feedburner URL. This will replace RSS feed link. Start with http://
Adsense Account Settings
- Google Ad Client ID - Put your Google Ad Client ID here. (Eg. pub-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX).
The configuration during the first installation of the template is simple but requires some attention. This chapter will help you to install and adjust the template without any problems. The theme is fully widgetized, which means that during the first installation you will have to add and adjust all the elements yourself.
Having activated the theme click the link Configure or go to the section Folium Optioins. Here choose all the necessary parameters: Select Blog category, Select Projects category, Number of Projects, Intro page and choose Show Fullposts? and Display Sub boxes?, configure Thumbnail assignment.
You should adjust or create categories so that the Blog category appears to be the upper one. All other blog categories to be displayed should be created as a child category. Thus, the structure of your blog should be as follows:
- Blog (first level)
- Blog category 1 (child level)
- Blog category 2
- Blog category 3
- Projects category (first level)
Having configured the main options you can start adding widgets. Pay attention to the specially designed NattyWP widgets, located at the bottom of the list. The theme supports 7 positions for widgets. These are:
- Sidebar (Home page) – these widgets will be displayed on the main page.
- Sidebar (Categories, Archives) – these widgets will be displayed on the blog page.
- Sub Box Left – Sub Box Left widgets.
- Sub Box Middle – Sub Box Middle widgets.
- Sub Box Right – Sub Box Right widgets.
- Single Page Ads – widgets for banners.
Widgets used in the demo on NattyWP
Sidebar (Home page):
- Recent Posts
- NattyWP Twitter
Sidebar (Categories, Archives):
- Tag Cloud
- NattyWP Flickr
Sub Box Left:
- Text widget
Sub Box Middle:
- Text widget
Sub Box Right:
- Text widget