Aeon - Installaion -- Aug 15 2011, 10:59 AM
Contents of this document
- 1. Primary: Login to your wp-admin area and go to Appearance -> Themes. Go to Install tab and click on Upload link. Select theme .zip and click "Install Now" button. Almost done. Now go to step 3. If you have any errors, use alternate method.
- 2. Alternate: Upload the whole folder (Aeon) to your server Via FTP and place it in the /wp-content/themes/ folder. Do not change the directory name, it case sensetive. The template files should thus be here now: /wp-content/themes/Aeon/index.php (for example).
- 3. CHMOD directory cache (wp-content/themes/Aeon/cache) to 777 permissions. To read more about File Permissions you can go here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_File_Permissions
- 4. Now, it's time to setup main Theme Options. Go to Aeon Options and configure all required fields. Click "Update Options"
- 5. Check Section 2 and Section 3 - Basic configuration if you have installed the template for the first time and need to make the initial setup and adjustments.
Explaining Theme Options
Aeon incorporates a user-friendly theme options page to allow you easily customize / tweak a variety of options for the theme without having to touch the code. Theme Options located under Aeon tab in your WordPress admin panel. Here is an explanation of all the options that can be found on this page:
(Note: Options marked with * are required to be completed, otherwise your theme might not function properly.)
- Custom Logo - Upload custom logo, or specify the image address.
- Custom Background - Upload custom background image, or specify the image address.
- Background repeat - Set Background repeat option.
- Home Link Text - Home link text. You can specify Home or My Blog for example.
- Meta Description - Enter a blurb about your site here, and it will show up on the tag. Useful for SEO.
- Show Fullposts? - Showing fullposts instead of post summary.
- Enable Cufon font replacement - Cufon performs text replacement on web pages, using the canvas element to render fancy typefaces. If you have any problems with displaying special characters, non-latin fonts, etc. you should disable this oprion.
- Favorite Icons - Choose the favorite icon you would like to use or upload your own icon to Upload your icon to /wp-content/themes/Aeon/images/icons/
Front Page - Slider
- Homepage Scrolling pages - To specify scrolling pages you should add images for pages first and then select which pages to use for scrolling here.
- Slideshow effect - Select transition effect for homepage slideshow.
- Timeout - Milliseconds between slide transitions (0 to disable auto advance)
- Slide speed - Speed of the transition (in milliseconds)
Front Page - Intro
- Display Intro section on homepage? - Control visibility of this section.
- Intro Text - Main text for Homepage Intro section. You can fill it with some testimonial or company slogan.
- Author tag - Author of the intro text, leave blank to hide.
- Testimonial Link Text - Link text, leave blank to hide.
- Testimonial Link URL - Link URL, start with http://
- Price Button Text - Button link text, leave blank to hide.
- Price Button URL - Link URL, start with http://
Front Page - Featured pages
- Show Featured section? - Show or Hide Featured section.
- Featured pages - Featured pages to display on homepage. You can add pages by clicking "Plus" icon and sort them using drag-and-drop. Please note that the pages will be replaced with widgets, if any widget added.
Front Page - Products
- Display Products section on homepage? - Control visibility of the Products section.
- Product Section - Title - Title for the Products section.
- Product Section - Description - Enter a blurb about your product section, it will show up on homepage.
- Number of Products - Total amount of Products to display on homepage.
- Product Display Settings - Select rendering style for products loop.
- Show Price table? - Control visibility of the price table.
- Price Table HTML - Edit this HTML code to update your price table.
- Thumbnail assignment - Use the "Image" custom field or the first uploaded post image.
- Enable Dynamic Image Resizer - This will enable dynamic image Resizer. Turn it off if you have any problems with thumbnails on your site.
- Slideshow Preview Width - Custom image Width in Pixels
- Slideshow Preview Height - Custom image Height in Pixels
- Post Image Width - Custom image Width in Pixels
- Post Image Height - Custom image Height in Pixels
- Product Width (Compact mode) - Custom image Width in Pixels
- Product Height (Compact mode) - Custom image Height in Pixels
- Product Image Width - Custom image Width in Pixels
- Product Image Height - Custom image Height in Pixels
- Contact Email - Enter the email address where contact for submissions should be sent. (i.e., firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Subject - Enter the email subject used for contact form messages.
- Page Text - Enter the message you want to appear above the contact form.
- Thank You Message - Enter thank you message - the visitor will see after sending.
Configuration during the first installation of this template is simple. This chapter will help you to install and adjust the template without any problems. The theme is fully widgetized, which means that during the first installation you will have to add and adjust all the elements by yourself.
Having activated the theme you will see the Theme Options section. Here choose all the necessary parameters and update your options. Your theme will be installed with pre-defined homepage scrolling images which you can replace by your own. You can find these images under /wp-content/themes/Aeon/include/images/.
If you have purchased Developer version of template, you can check PSD folder (/wp-content/themes/Aeon/PSD) for slides.psd There you will find source for 3 slide images we are using on our demo. You can edit them and use for your blog.
How to configure Homepage Pages Scroller?
Please read Adding slide images tutorial on our blog.
How to add Contact Form?
- 1. Create a new page, enter a page title.
- 2. On the right menu select Contact template in a Template section.
- 3. Fill the page with content and click on Update post button.
How to add Products?
Products taxonomy works exactly the same like WordPress Categories/Posts. You should add Sections (categories) and then Products (posts). To create a Product list page, like on our demo, you should do the following:
- 1. Create new Page and name in Products (or pick any other name).
- 2. On the right side find Page Attributes and for Template select Products from drop-down list.
- 3. Publish this new page and add it to menu.
Having configured the main options you can start adding widgets. Pay attention to the specially designed NattyWP widgets. The theme supports 4 positions for widgets. These are:
- Sidebar (Main) – This is the main widget area. You can add and configure all available widgets here. Using other 3 widget spaces are optional.
- Sidebar (Post and Page) – This replace Sidebar Main widgets for the inner pages and posts.
- Featured Alternative Left – these widgets will be displayed for the Featured section. Adding widgets here will replace Featured Pages.
- Featured Alternative Center – these widgets will be displayed for the Featured section. Adding widgets here will replace Featured Pages.
- Featured Alternative Right – these widgets will be displayed for the Featured section. Adding widgets here will replace Featured Pages.
- Footer Left – footer widgets aligned to left - wide.
- Footer Right – footer widgets aligned to right.
Widgets used in the demo on NattyWP
- NattyWP Personal Networks
- Categories widget (with post count)
- Archives widget (Display as dropdown)
- NattyWP 125x125 Banner Widget
Read more about Page content formatting here.