Tribune - Installation -- Jan 13 2009, 2:42 PM
Contents of this document
- Installing Tribune
- Basic configuration
- Explaing Theme Options
- Adding Images To Posts
- Adding Banners
- Manage Adsense
- 1. Primary: Login to your wp-admin area and go to Appearance -> Themes. Select Install tab and click on Upload link. Select theme .zip and click on Install now button. If you have any errors, use alternate method described below (step 2).
- 2. Via FTP, upload the whole folder (Tribune) to your server and place it in the /wp-content/themes/ folder. Do not change the directory name. Thus, the template files should be here now: /wp-content/themes/Tribune/index.php (for example).
- 3. Check the CHMOD. For the files it must be 644 and for the folders - 755
- 4. Log into your WP admin panel and activate Tribune theme.
- 5. Note: When first clicking the theme to activate it, the preview panel will show that the theme contains "errors", but this is only because you haven't set up the Theme Options yet.
- 6. Complete all of the required inputs on the Tribune Options page (in the WP admin panel) and click "Save Changes". Section 2 below details this process.
Tribune is a magazine style theme, comprised of 3 columns - left sidebar, right sidebar and the main post column. Installing a theme on the new blog which doesn't have enough categories and posts one should prepare wordpress for the configuration of Tribune theme in advance.
You should create at least four categories - one for Featured Entries, at least one for the Advanced block, located in the right sidebar, another for the Aside block in the left sidebar, and a category for video. If you wish, you may switch off any of these blocks by choosing "Do not show" in the section Tribune Options.
Add at least one post to each category and then go to the inlay Tribune Options and assign each category to the corresponding section.
You also can adjust Logo and Favorite Icons, as well as additional information Google Ad Client ID, Google Analytics ID and Feedburner URL.
When you are done with all these operations, it's high time to save the changes. At this point the basic configuration is complete.
Explaining Theme Options
Tribune incorporates a user-friendly theme options page to allow you easily customise / tweak a variety of options for the theme without touching the code. The theme options are located under the Tribune Options tab in your WordPress admin panel. Here is an explanation of all the options that can be found on this page:
(Note: Options marked with * are required to be completed, otherwise your theme might not function properly.)
- CSS* - Choose the stylesheet you would like to use (located in Tribune/css/).
- Color Active* - Set a link color.
- Color Hover* - Set a link hover color.
- Meta Description - Enter a blurb about your site here, and it will show up on the tag. Useful for SEO.
Front Page Layout
- Featured Entries* - Select the number of entries that should appear in the Featured Article scroller.
- Featured Entries Category* - Select a category that should appear in the Featured Article scroller.
- Advanced Categories* – Select Categories that should appear in the Advanced categories. You can hold down Ctrl button to select multiple categories.
- Aside Entries* - Select the number of entries that should appear in the Aside block.
- Aside Category* - Select category that should appear in the Aside block (on the left).
- Video* - Category for video.
- Logo - Choose the logo you would like to use.
- Favorite Icons - Choose the favorite icon you would like to use.
- Thumbnail assignment* - Configuration for thumbnail generation across your website. Select First image or Custom Field.
RSS and Statistics Settings
- Google Analytics ID – Google Analytics ID. Start with UA
- Feedburner URL - Feedburner URL. This will replace RSS feed link. Start with http://
Adsense Account Settings
- Google Ad Client ID - Put your Google Ad Client ID here. (Eg. pub-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX).
Adding Images To Posts
You could skip these points if you choose the First-Image on the Thumbnail assignment which means that images will be generated automatically. To have your thumbnail generated, simply add images in your post and the first images will be used as thumbnails. If you choose Custom Post image add a custom field in the post. The custom field key MUST be 'Image' (letter cases are important). Please reference the screenshot below and follow the following instructions:
- 1. On your Write > Post tab, complete all of the standard fields when adding a new post.
- 2. Then, click on the "Add Media" icon and upload an image of your choice.
- 3. Once uploaded, copy the complete "Link URL" field.
- 4. Now scroll down to the Custom fields. Fill the custom field value with the path of your image. If you have the image located at http://www.yourblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/file_name.jpg then the key value of the custom field MUST be http://www.yourblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/file_name.jpg
- 5. Click Add custom field and publish post.
"NattyWP Banner widget" has been designed for quick and easy banner management across your website. Read more.
"NattyWP Adsense widget" has been designed for quick and easy Adsense management. Read more.
I have done everything as you said and a small purple box the correct size of my banner is showing on my site, but there is no ad. Please advise. I have selected the proper size, clicked on the right image and put in the url.
q8W91k <a href="http://loogbdmaaxlj.com/">loogbdmaaxlj</a>, [url=http://dopslpopwuna.com/]dopslpopwuna[/url], [link=http://mheeyvwlxabf.com/]mheeyvwlxabf[/link], http://cphogmadurmr.com/
dmBu0G <a href="http://ckzphovhfxcq.com/">ckzphovhfxcq</a>, [url=http://zzehxxixhddw.com/]zzehxxixhddw[/url], [link=http://vgvdqcbsqlou.com/]vgvdqcbsqlou[/link], http://jhdjhkwqqhdt.com/
l7owte <a href="http://ajjufimrxxhi.com/">ajjufimrxxhi</a>, [url=http://sxdvxrciuclf.com/]sxdvxrciuclf[/url], [link=http://ergtycqukdnl.com/]ergtycqukdnl[/link], http://pmpycsrdfnph.com/